Graduates of this program may seek employment in public, private, and/or governmental entities as bookkeepers, accounting technicians, accounting support, or payroll assistants.
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Effectively apply components of the accounting equation to typical business transactions.
- Analyze financial information and statements.
- Maintain and evaluate internal control procedures.
- Effectively use a variety of computer software to process accounting information and documents.
- Apply mathematical concepts to typical accounting and business situations.
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing in the context of common business practices.
- Work as a team member in an office environment to accomplish the goals of the organization.
- Define, explain, correctly spell, and effectively use accounting and business terminology.
Required & Prerequisite Courses
Keyboarding proficiency of 30+ words-a-minute, one error per minute, is required for graduation. Students may take BSTEC 110 to develop proficiency or may take a keyboarding test to verify proficiency. Ten-key desktop calculator proficiency of 8,000 keystrokes per hour. Students may take BSTEC 132 to develop the required proficiency or may take a 10-key test to verify proficiency.