This certificate is designed for students wishing to supplement or advance their careers in civil, residential building design and/or construction. This program may also be appropriate for those students wishing to improve their graphic communication skills to supplement an education in architecture or engineering.
Advisor / Program Contacts
Upon completion of this program, successful students will have demonstrated the ability to apply their skills and knowledge in the following ways:
- Work as a team member involving multiple disciplines and responsibilities.
- Produce residential plans and pictorial drawings using hand drafting techniques.
- Produce residential building plans using industry standard CAD and BIM software.
- Use and interpret architectural and civil graphic standards
- Use CAD software to produce civil drawings.
- Identify the influences of art, history, sociology, and human perception in site and building design.
- Use and document a systematic design process to identify, analyze, and solve simple residential building and site design problems, including conceptual, visual, and practical requirements.
- Interpret written legal descriptions as well as interpret and create graphic legal descriptions (plat and site plans).
- Identify materials and processes commonly used in residential construction.
- Assist with the use of traditional survey equipment and total stations to collect and utilize field survey data.